Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Computer Science Vs. Computer Engineering

What's the difference between the two? I asked myself the same question for a while, and after a bit of research, I found some information.





The truth is, both will land you similar jobs. Employers hire Computer Scientists with Engineering backgrounds, and many Computer Engineers have Computer Science degrees.

The difference is quite fine print. It depends on where you go to school, but Computer Science tends to focus more on the IDEAS behind computing, programming, logic, and hardware. Likewise, Computer Engineering is more hands on building. Computer Science lends itself more towards programming/software, while Engineering leans towards hardware. However, both learn many of the same things. In fact, some universities don't distinguish between the two degrees; they simply offer Computer Science.

I'm still deciding which one I want to go for. I'm leaning towards the Engineering degree, because I fear that many software jobs will be outsourced from cheap labor. At the same time, I've been told by people at Google to go for a Computer Science degree.

Don't put too much thought into it though! Like I said, the two degrees will land you the same jobs almost interchangeably from what I've gathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment